Tamaya, "the people", is the traditional name for Santa Ana Pueblo.
The original location of Santa Ana Pueblo was 5,400 feet above sea level against a craggy mesa wall on the north bank of the Jemez River. When the Spanish arrived in the 1540’s
they called the pueblo (then known by their traditional name Tamaya) Santa Ana after the patron saint that they assigned it. After the Pueblo Revolt in 1680
, the Spanish returned and in their Re-Conquest
forced the people of Santa Ana Pueblo to flee their village to the Black Mesa and Jemez Mountains. In 1693 the people returned to the location of the present Pueblo, 27 miles northwest of Albuquerque.
The Pueblo continued to grow, suffering population hits due to disease in the 18th and 19th centuries, most notably the smallpox epidemic in 1789-1791
. Today Santa Ana Pueblo holds 73,000 acres around the Rio Grande, and has 500 residents.