View of Black Mesa, from Santa Clara Pueblo (Tewa), New Mexico. Photo taken between 1908 and 1910 by H.S. Poley.
Various Pueblo buildings and wooden fences are visible in the foreground. Courtesy of the Western History/Genealogy Department, Denver Public Library
Santa Clara Pueblo
Kha'p'oo Owinge (Valley of the Wild Roses) is the traditional name for Santa Clara Pueblo.
Santa Clara Pueblo is located 24 miles north of Santa Fe.
The large Santa Clara Pueblo reservation is home to the historic cliff dwellings of Puye, and has fishing and camping in the nearby canyon.
Today, the pueblo still practices many of their ancient traditions, and prides itself on a high regard for education in both modern and traditional ways.
They celebrate St. Anthony’s Feast Day in June, and in August they have a Corn Dance in honor of their patron saint, St. Claire.
Smithsonian film on Pueblo Resistance
Judge Pope, the U.S. Supreme Court and the Santa Clara Liquor Introduction Case
Lois Gutierrez de la Cruz
Nora Naranjo Morse
Santa Clara Pueblo Literary Map
© 2004-2013 New Mexico State Record Center and Archives